A shearing machine is an industrial equipment with rotary disks and blades used to cut hard iron sheets and metal bars. The term shearing means to apply a high pressure tool on a metal bar once to remove a part of the metal. All metal shears use the same technique in cutting where there is a fixed upper blade, a lower blade and an adjustable clearance separating the two. When a force is applied on the upper blade it forces the lower blade to cut and separate the metal into two.
Shearing machines are categorized depending on the shape of its blade, linear or circular.
Linear shearing machines are used to cut metal with a thickness of over 2mm and they are operated with hydraulic power or hand operated machines for thinner metals.
Circular shearing machines are used to cut circular blanks and rings from metal and are operated by an electric motor. The best types of metal for shearing are bronze, aluminum, brass and mild steel. Metal shearing is cost effective and easy and hence preferred in industries and even homes.
Types of Shearing Machines
- Bench Shear – The word bench is because the machine is mounted on a bench to increase its mechanical ability. It is used to cut rough shapes of medium sizes of metal. However, small bench shearing machines are fitted with ground cutting blades and are light weights making it easy to have clean and fast cuts.
- Guillotine – This means that the machine is hand or foot powered and sometimes mechanically powered. The material to be cut is first cramped with a ram and a moving blade goes down and shears the metal. a power shearing machine consists of a shear table to put the material being sheared, a a holding device to hold the material in place to avoid movement, a gauging device to make sure the material is in the right place and the lower and upper blades to do the cutting.
- Power Shears – This type of a shearing machine is electrically powered to shear large pieces of metal regardless of size. Alternatively they can be powered with hydraulics to cut metals that are too bulky for transportation.
- Throat – Less shear- This means that the metal being cut can be moved around the cutting blade freely so it’s flexible. It’s used for complex cuts and curves.
Advantages of Using Hydraulic Shearing Machines Over Mechanical Models
- Hydraulic shearing machines are fast and accurate and make it easy to cut a lot of metal in factories.
- Hydraulic shears don’t require a lot of maintenance as mechanical models and hence are cost effective.
- Hydraulic shears are usually compact machines and hence take up less space even though they apply the same kind of pressure as mechanical shearing machines.
- Hydraulic shearing machines secure metal with cramps while cutting hence ensuring smooth cuts and even 90 degrees cut. There are a wide variety of hydraulic shearing machines in the market to cater for all sizes of metal.
How to Use Hydraulic Shearing Machines Safely?
- Always have specialist operators to work on the machine
- Maintain cleanliness in the machine and follow the operating rules to avoid hazards.
- Always make sure to switch off power of the machine after use.
Hydraulic shears are more effective and easier to use than mechanical machines but should be handled with care by qualified personnel only.
If you need more information about hydraulic shearing machines, I recommend that you can visit the website of Yeh Chiun: www.yehchiun.com. This company manufactures wide range of well-known press brakes and shearing machines. If you are still looking for ideal machinery, do not miss their website, you will find you need at Yeh Chiun.